Thursday, June 09, 2011

DRUGS !!

I have been wondering about what to discuss in my first real blog post for a few days and several things came to mind. After thinking them over, I decided that the subject of drugs would be just as good a topic as any. Considering that this is a libertarian-oriented blog politically, and such types are supposedly obsessed with this issue, this would make a perfect start to my blog. 

 Now I am not going to talk about drug legalization or the problems with the war on drugs or anything else like that. Rather, I want to deal with a certain claim that I have heard regarding how people would behave if the availability of drugs was dramatically increased such as would occur if they were legal.                                              

The argument is that if drugs were legal, the temptation to try them for people who have never used before would be so great that a huge segment of the population, formerly non-users, would become hooked on these horrible substances. I have heard this concern expressed not just about morons, but even regarding people with superior intelligence. One of my professors in a philosophy class discussion said that he did not know if he would not go out and buy heroin if it could be purchased legally. Now I understand that when it comes to people that are addicts already, having a more readily available supply at a fraction of the current price would allow these users to consume a higher quantity of their drug of choice. The thing I don’t understand is the notion that all these people out there who have never tried drugs are just itching to get their hands on some cocaine, heroin, meth, take your pick. 

 Maybe my brain just works differently than 99% of the population (it does actually) but I can't for the life of me understand this desire to  consume  things that  people have never tried, but are considered so horrible and destructive.  As an example, if someone tried to offer me a dish that was supposedly the best tasting food in the world, but it also had all there horrible possible side effects comparable to hard drugs, I think I would pass. I suppose that if I had one day to live, I might consider using  some of these  substances, but even then, there would be a whole host of things I’d rather do if I had such limited time, like drinking 50 strawberry virgin daiquiris for example,  as opposed to snorting  coke, injecting heroin, smoking  crack, smoking  weed  etc. Hell, even in some hypothetical world where I could have anything I wanted and could take any drug and get all of the pleasure without any of the repercussions, I really don’t think I would be that interested in doing so. There are just so many more things in life that I desire to do, and it’s hard for me to fathom how psychoactive drugs are considered to the ultimate forbidden fruit.  Anyhow, in closing, it seems to me that anyone with a half-decent brain would be able to resist such temptation, but then again, I could be wrong.

1 comment:

  1. Illegal drugs, per se, strike me as rather boring; I don't understand why the users or prohibiters get into such a palaver over them.

    Would I try them? Maybe certain ones, but I hardly have a burning desire to force the issue; besides, I'm lazy enough as it is without a weed habit dialling that up!

    Gimme a cool glass of red, anyday!

    ReplyDelete