Wednesday, August 03, 2011

Drugs !! part 2

This is a follow-up post to my 2nd post on this blog entitled Drugs !!, thus the title of this entry, Drugs !! part  2 (maybe this will become a series, who knows) . In the previous post, I discussed the argument made by some that if drugs were legal and easily available, a large chunk of the population that had never used them before would rush to try them lured by the irresistible appeal of heroin, cocaine, meth etc. As I explained in that post, I think that such an argument is absurd, and today I want to go after another common idea out there about drugs and drug usage that seems stupid to me. 

This is the claim that if people for whatever reason no longer had to work, most of them would do drugs as well as other destructive behaviours in addition to not engaging in any productive activities. I implication here is that people are basically self-destructive morons who must be kept in line through labour because that is all most people are fit for. Now personally I think this argument is bullshit and well I think it's dangerous to project one's mindset onto other people, my own life experience bears out such a conclusion.

When I recall periods of my life that were the most enjoyable and  "carefree" the last thing on my mind was a desire to use any kinds of drugs including for that matter alcohol. Now on the other hand, when I have had to do things I didn't like, school assignments, classes, jobs, those have been the times that I actually wanted to take "mind altering" substances. Recently, I have started a very mind numbing and tedious job which basically involves just pushing paper, and I can tell you that some days, I really feel like I could use some really powerful stimulants, caffeine just doesn't work well enough for me. I have felt this way in the past when I was doing jobs with similar qualities and  that is one of the reasons that I find the argument above so ridiculous. 

It is this no job which unfortunately has prevented me from updating this blog as frequently as I would like to. My goal here from the beginning has been on improving my own writing primarily and as well, perhaps providing some material of interest to anyone who might happen to stumble upon this space. My goal has been to have at least three blog posts a week, something I have not been able to fulfill so far. Hopefully as I keep writing and my confidence improves, I will be able to churn out these entries faster. As for ideas, I have a backlog of posts that I intend to get around to so I think that should not be too much of a problem.  

No comments:

Post a Comment